Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 4718 times)

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
The Walking Dead
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »
We have a couple of posters on the TNM&GB thread that aren't caught up on The Walking Dead.  So this thread is intended for those of us that want to discuss the show but don't want to ruin it for others.
Everyone should believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline The Ghost of Paul Fizzle

• The Shadow Council's Most Hated Man
  • Star
  • I can smell the Tang from a mile away
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »
Good Job Niner ....way to be a leader.
Those are the actions of a true TNM&GB superstar
The Godfather of Troll

Offline RC Philly

• Cooler than Pittsburgh.
  • Veteran
  • [applaud] [smite]
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:03:40 AM »
Well this thread is off and running, ain't it?

Good show earlier tonight. I think they have some interesting episodes when they focus in on certain characters and the rest of them have the week off. Pretty much just a Rick, Carl and Michonne day. And adding in getting reacquainted with Morgan, which was good to see. Though I wonder what, if any, his part will be now that they left him there. Was he just a 1 episode cameo appearance, or will he show back up again? I gotta imagine he'll figure into something again sooner or later.

Rick must feel pretty good now tho, as he sees someone is further off the tracks than he was. I didn't notice it at first, but they showed a little behind the scenes thing on the Talking show afterwards of the whole thing Morgan built there.. the whole pulley system and using it to transport things from place to place more easily was pretty amazing. He must've really hunkered down and stayed in one spot all this time and not venture too far away.

Next week is the confrontation tho.. Rick vs. the Gov.. steel cage match.. no holds barred.. everything goes.. we'll sell you the whole seat, but you'll only need the eddddddddddddge! OK, maybe not.. but it'll be intense!

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
Lol.  I totally forgot I created this thread.

Awesome episode last night.  I hope they keep Morgan around.  Maybe not as a weekly type character but more as a every once in a while type deal. 

This season has been excellent.  I'll admit I was getting pretty fed up with the show during their stay at the farm.  They picked things up at the end of the 2nd season and haven't let off the gas pedal since.

Offline realfn66

• Dolphins 2010 champs!
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:39:31 AM »
I find Andrea very annoying.

I was getting tired of Rick hallucinating, other people lost family and they didn't lose it.
mia1  mia4  miami1  fla2

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »
Well, as they just showed in the last episode, Morgan isn't exactly all there.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
As someone who has read the comics,  I've been a little disappointed with the season.  Books are generally better,  than shows or movies. ...but even on  cable,  there are certain elements of the comics that can't be covered.  IMO this should be on HBO.   Still,  I watch every week,  and kudos to the OG Frank Darabont for inventing Daryl. ..he wasn't in the comics,  and is easily my favorite character on the show!
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
I saw all of last season and haven't seen one new show yet...on the bright side....every episode uploads in my phone !  ;)
wsh1  pit2  wsh1  atl3  wsh1

Offline the_bandit

• Canadian Shithead
  • Star
  • Seahorse seahell
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »
there are certain elements of the comics that can't be covered.

I love the comics and I love the show, but ya there are some things that can't be covered that make the comics great (not to say the show isn't).  You are correct about darryl though...not in the book, but a great character on the show.  I think the Michonne vs. Goverenor thing could have been done better, but I understand why they did what they did.  I would have loved some Andrea and Dale action, but I think the show had a nice reality check.

Also, awesome episode last week.  It was nice to have a break from the prison/Woodbury scenes.

I probably won't be able to watch this week's until Tuesday night as I am travelling.  See you all then.
tor2 notredame1 gb1

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
  • Pickems Record: 12/16
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
Where can one watch the old episodes?
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
Where can one watch the old episodes?

I'm pretty sure you can get them on Netflix, Fog.  Online, I use a site Tubeplus.me, some annoying ads, but once you get them all closed, streams pretty smoothly.

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
  • Pickems Record: 12/16
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »
I'm checking out Hulu too.
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
Y'all keep in mind that this thread is so the show doesn't get spoiled on other threads.  So if you're not up to date, you might not like what you read here.

Rock on.

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
I'm betting Andrea does The Governor.  In more ways than one, lol.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
Y'all keep in mind that this thread is so the show doesn't get spoiled on other threads.  So if you're not up to date, you might not like what you read here.

Rock on.
Yeah Niner..I was trying to be as broad as I could be...hate spoilers.  I had Sons of Anarchys big death ruined for me by some ass clown on Facebook...some peoples kids grin1

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 06:48:51 AM »
Yeah Niner..I was trying to be as broad as I could be...hate spoilers.  I had Sons of Anarchys big death ruined for me by some ass clown on Facebook...some peoples kids grin1

Here's the thing, though.  This thread is intended to be spoiler heavy.  I created it when a poster on another thread didn't want any Walking Dead comments because he was catching up on season 2 and hadn't seen any of season 3 yet. 

I thought last night's episode was a bit boring.  Way too much talking and not enough action.  I'm pretty sure they did that to set up the last 3 episodes of season 3, though.  That's ok, sometimes bridge episodes have to be done.  Not every episode can be a home run.

That said, the last 3 episodes had better not disappoint.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »
Got it.  Well to say I have been disappointed with this season, is an understatement.  IMO, they are straying too far off the original source material when it comes to important moments from the books(comics).  Obviously there was a major change in season 1 concerning Shane's character, but I see why that was changed...the tension of the Rick/Lori/Shane love triangle has been one of my favorite parts of the show.  Season 2 saw the exit of Frank Darabont.  Big mistake.  Hopefully one day we will get to see the FD  S2 Ep1...which was "The Battle for Atlanta"

Following Darabont's departure/firing, this caused a major rift in the cast.  The actor who played Dale is a close friend/frequent collaborator of FD, having appeared in almost all of his previous films.  He asked to be written off the show, which set a lot of things in motion.  1st...Dale was a major part of what is Season 3 of the show.  An awesome cannibal storyline...and also some sexy time with Andrea.  2nd..the new head honcho Glen Mazzara..saw that no one was irreplaceable...and became tentative..as witnessed in dragging out storylines for far too long...and he got the axe a few episodes in this year.  So 3 seasons...3 different HWIC...not what I call continuity!

So what's on tap for the rest of the season?  Well if last season was any indication...death..death..and more death!  It's hard to say who...since there are characters still alive on the show that have been long gone...and dead ones who are still alive in the comics.  My guess is two "mainish" characters...a bunch of minor ones(see Season 2 finale) and the most zombie deaths the show has seen.  It should be epic.

As far as moving forward...I see 3 more seasons...maybe they go the Breaking Bad route, and have the final season split in half...MINOR SPOILERS..

3 more seasons would hit on "The Free Zone"..."Jesus and the Saviors"...and whatever is currently being written in the comics.  AMC has stated that they don't want any of their serials to go past 6 seasons...as evident with Emmy magnets Breaking Bad and Mad Men, so I will take their word on that.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:38:56 AM by DeeHawkz23 »

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »
I've never read any of the comics so I don't know what is different.  Maybe that is a good thing.  I know comparing books, etc. to the movies rarely ends up being a very good comparison in favor of the movie. 

One interesting aspect is what Rick to the group at the end.  I used to study military history quite a bit.  Sun Tzu is a very famous author.  In chapter 11 of The Art of War, he writes this:

23. Throw your soldiers into positions whence there is no escape, and they will prefer death to flight.

If they will face death, there is nothing they may not achieve. Officers and men alike will put forth their uttermost strength.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
I've never read any of the comics so I don't know what is different.  Maybe that is a good thing.  I know comparing books, etc. to the movies rarely ends up being a very good comparison in favor of the movie. 

One interesting aspect is what Rick to the group at the end.  I used to study military history quite a bit.  Sun Tzu is a very famous author.  In chapter 11 of The Art of War, he writes this:

If I knew it was going to be a TV show, I probably would have waited to read the books.  Obviously there is a lot more bureaucracy when it comes to TV...and censorship.  I just hope they do a spin off focusing on "The Rise of the Governor"...probably my favorite comic in the series.

I do like how they have "devolved" Rick since last season...falls in line with where he is headed...I'm curious to see if they stretch out the Woodbury/Prison storyline into season 4...or they keep the group on the move...

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 06:25:44 AM »
They also have a budget, Dee, which of course a book does not have.  Limited resources.  That type of thing.

I think at some particular point, they have to move away from the book's storyline.  I mean, if they didn't, wouldn't that make the show awfully predictable?  As I said, I never read the books so I'm oblivious to that angle.  But being a big time Lord of the Rings afficionado, I totally understand where you're coming from.  It took quite a bit of effort on my part not to be too critical of the movies. 

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 09:27:48 AM »
What a complete waste of an hour of my time..easily the worst episode of the year....who wrote that piece of slop? Bad 80's horror movie.."No Andrea don't go into that dark room where you hear weird noises!"  I literally hope the new showrunner is eaten by zombies...

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
So I guess you didn't like it?

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »
So I guess you didn't like it?
haha1...no..and the next episode is more of the same...must be saving the death for the finale...am I the only one that wishes more and more that Andrea dies?  Hell, kill off the whole cast..except Glen...at least Glen and Maggie are somewhat interesting...

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »
I thought this week's episode was better than last week's.  More action.  I thought the whole abandoned warehouse scene was a bit over the top but just about every horror show/movie in American history has a helpless female avoiding the bad guy/monster scene in it at some point.  At least Andrea didn't trip and fall over a tree root or lose her shoe.

Of course they're saving the death for the finale.  That was evident from episode 1 of this season.  It's been a town vs prison set up from the git go.  The only question to me is whether they make it a no chit, can't reverse it type death like Shane's or they leave it somewhat open ended.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »
Niner..I'm very interested in seeing who lives and who dies re: the main cast.  Much like Game of Thrones(two weeks baby!), the creator of WD gives the writers a heads up on where the comic book storyline is going.  This gives them the ability to tweak character arcs to their liking...see Dale and Shane..with original contracts coming to an end...it really is a guessing game who makes it to season 4.  Obviously Rick will be there...I hope they do something shocking..