Author Topic: The Road to The Triple Crown  (Read 1661 times)

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
The Road to The Triple Crown
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:29:29 AM »
Yes another year has passed without a Triple Crown winner. While horse racing has taken a step back to all other sports the horses having continued to train for the ever elusive Triple Crown. One of the final last pushes before The Kentucky Derby is the Wood Memorial in the East and the Santa Anita Derby in the West.

Wood Memorial

PP    Horse                           Jockey                            Trainer                          ML
1     Chrisandthecaper            J. Lezcano                       J. Servis                        30/1
2     Normandy Invasion          J. Castellano                    C. Brown                         5/1
3     Quinzieme Monarque        I. Ortiz                            T. Albertrani                   30/1
4     Elnaawi                         E. Castro                         K. McLaughlin                  12/1
5     Vyjack                          J. Rosario                         R. Rodriguez                     4/1
6     Mr. Palmer                     J. Alvarado                       W. Mott                         12/1
7     Always in a Tiz               C. Borel                           D. Schettino                   15/1
8     Verrazano                      J. Velazquez                    T. Pletcher                       4/5
9     Go Get the Basil              J. Ortiz                           R. Violette                       30/1
10    Freedom Child                E. Trujillo                        T. Albertrani                     30/1

Top 3 favorites being Verrzano, Vyjack and Normandy Invasion.

Santa Anita

1        Flashback                G. Gomez               B. Baffert                         6/5
2        Hear The Ghost        C. Nakatani             J. Hollendorfer                   SCR
3        Power Broker            R. Bejarano             B. Baffert                         4/1
4        Tiz A Minister           J. Talamo                P. Aguirre                         5/1
5        Goldencents            K. Krigger                D. O'Neill                           9/2
6        Super Ninety Nine     M. Garcia                B. Baffert                          9/2
7        Summer Exclusive     E. Maldanado           P. Miller                           20/1
8        Storm Fighter          G. Stevens              B. Headley                        15/1
9        Dirty Swagg            T. Baze                  M. Cho                             30/1

Top 3 favorites Flashback, Power Broker and Tiz A Minister. "Hear The Ghost" has been Scratched. This could be important for the Kentucky Derby as several of these horses in both races have finished second to Hear The Ghost.

My pick for the Wood is: Verrazano, I am a jockey picker. My sleeper would be Mr. Palmer
My pick for the Santa Anita is:  Storm Fighter, it would have been Hear The Ghost. Sleeper is Flashback.

I'll keep you posted as the Road to Kentucky nears
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
Re: The Road to The Triple Crown
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:39:07 AM »
Baffert Has the Santa Anita locked up with three entries !!!  grin1
wsh1  pit2  wsh1  atl3  wsh1

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »
That's the way to win sack the race with your horses. Got to say he is a top's in his field.

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
That's the way to win sack the race with your horses. Got to say he is a top's in his field.
lol...no doubt in my mind !

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »
But he has no one in the Wood !!!

Offline Shakes

• Contributing Member
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
Its already horse season?

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »
Its already horse season?
Yes sir buddy Tony !!!!  Get ya gear on, grin1

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »
Less than a month to The Derby Tony.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
He starts coming East with his horses early so they have time after the travel and time change to get ready for The Triple Crown.

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
He starts coming East with his horses early so they have time after the travel and time change to get ready for The Triple Crown.
I'm impressed Elaine !! You are on top of your game !!

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
Thank you Chuck. I don't follow as close as I would like but I do follow up. To and thru the Haskell.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
And the Winners are;
Verrazano at the Wood
Goldencents at the Santa Anita

Verazzano was the favorite and had a fiarlu easy race.
Goldncents held off Flashback(my sleeper).
FYI: Goldencents is Co-Owned by Rick Pitino

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »
Normandy Invasion -- love that name!
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
  • Sesquipedalophobia is just mean.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »
Goldencents

What happened to this horse in the Derby?  I figured he would run 2nd.  (I picked Orb for 1st when I saw mud).

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »
Goldncents is one of those horses that needed the lace to be a little slower. He moved along nicely but as the pace and distance continued on he never fired and fell back. It will be interesting to serif he can go the distance in the next race. If nothing else he might be a good long shot that doesn't belong a long shot.

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 08:56:01 AM »

1 Orb 1-1
2 Goldencents 5-1
3 Titletown Five 20-1
4 Departing 6-1
5 Mylute 10-1
6 Oxbow 15-1
7 Will Take Charge 10-1
8 Govenor Charlie 15-1
9 Itsmyluckyday 10-1

Orb (1), Goldencents (17), Mylute (5), Oxbow (6), Will Take Charge (8), and Itsmyluckyday (15) ran in the Derby.

Very interesting.  Goldencents, Oxbow, Will Take Charge, & Itsmyluckyday All had jumped out to the fast pace in the Derby.  With the Preakness being a shorter race & Orb on the rail I am very interested to see how this plays out.
Right now I'm guessing:
1) Oxbow
2) Goldencents
3) Orb
Though I'll be rooting for Orb.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
Thanks Zimmy haven't had much time to do this this year.
I too shall be rooting for Orb but I don't think he will be better than third. I like
Will Take Charge to speed past all the final leg
Mylute. Will be close as he just couldn't go in the Derby not sure if it was the early speed
Departing will edge out Org for third

Offline andyham1

• Star
  • ..RJ.....Rest in Peace, friend! We will miss you
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »
 Anyone see Orb getting run down or should I say quitting  yeahright  in the Preakness?

I'm looking for a price that has a prayer!  Any tips, I pay commissions! 
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11
NCAA FINAL FOUR 1953,81 86,87,2006
NCAA CWS 1986,87,89,90,91,93,94,96,97,98,2000,03,04,09

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 07:12:50 PM »
Orb will not quit I just see him being pinched to the inside early. Most of the money will be bet on Goldencents.  Orb as you can see is even money and not worth the bet.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
As I have stated my favorite is Will Take Charge
1. Trainer D. Wayne Luisa
2. Jockey Mike Smith- change from The Derby

I have always been a jockey bettor and the switch to Smith has me salivating

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 08:35:09 PM »
ORB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BY A NOSE !!!!

Offline andyham1

• Star
  • ..RJ.....Rest in Peace, friend! We will miss you
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 08:48:10 PM »
I hear ya Fore, I am influenced by jockey names as well,  but I lean more on Trainers.
Here at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans, there appears to be something to horses that train here. At least in the in the bigger (GII) RACES.  Its supposed to be the surface on the track, its river sand, I am told its the only medium of its kind in the country.  Owners used to just bring their horses to train here because of that and the weather. Then the Fair Grounds got smart and make them run in at least 2 or 3 races a meet now.  Used to be, the fair Grounds didnt pay the big money, but only 2 or 3 times a year(La. Derby & New Orleans Hcp) like the Santa Anitas and Churchills.  They are starting to get it together now, they should, it is the 2nd oldest track in nation, next to Churchill. 
Thanks for the info, this is the first year I didnt pour over the Ky Derby, well since Secretariat.  I had some work distractions, gonna buy a form tomorrow though.
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11
NCAA FINAL FOUR 1953,81 86,87,2006
NCAA CWS 1986,87,89,90,91,93,94,96,97,98,2000,03,04,09

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »
Goldencents 

What happened to this horse in the Derby?   Preakness?  I figured he would run 2nd.

I'll not be picking this horse ever again.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
So much money wasted on him in both races that is true, but it was semi long shots in both races to win. I have a long list of don't bet on him again. Not off to a good start picking this year. facepalm
Nice call on Oxbow though!!

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
At one point in the race the horses were running in the exact order I picked them.  I have no idea what happened to Orb - to me it looked like he was going to win it but he stopped and fell back for some reason I can't figure out.
I still think Orb can take the Belmont, but I'm not as confident in that as I used to be as there seem to be other horses that can also just as easily win.
I got lucky picking Oxbow.  I figured it would have to be him in the lead start to finish in order to take it - his times in the Derby seemed to me as if he maybe could do it for a shorter race.