Author Topic: SU Basketball 2013-2014 Style  (Read 614 times)

Offline jonvi

• Starter
  • Ain't Been Right In Years
SU Basketball 2013-2014 Style
« on: April 20, 2013, 06:48:09 AM »
 Starting Five:

RAK. Center. 6-9. He better play well because there will be plenty of competition at the Center position.
2012 stats. 12.7 Minutes, 5.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks.

Jerami Grant, Power Forward.
2012 stats. 14.3 minutes, 3.9 points, 3.0 rebounds and 0.5 blocks. He really came to play in the Final Four loss to Michigan snagging 7 boards over McGary and adding 4 point in 17 minutes of play.

C.J. Fair, Small Forward. I so hope he returns to SU.
2012 stats. 34.9 minutes, 14.5 points, 7.0 rebounds, 1.0 blocks and 1.1 steals.

Trevor Cooney, Shooting Guard. Despite his shooting struggles, TC provided a lot of solid defense and always played hard. I'm hoping he finds his stroke during the off season.
2012 stats. 11.2 minutes and 3.4 points per game.

Tyler Ennis, Point Guard. The 6'2, 5 star recruit is expect to have just as much ability and potential as any guard SU has had.
2012 stats at St. Benedicts Prep (NJ). 20.8 points, 6.1 assist, 5.1 rebounds and 3.1 steals. I'm sold.

Off the Bench:

Keita. 6-10 and has a motor that won't quit. I like Keita a bunch because he seems better in the big games.
2012 stats: 16.8 minutes, 3.7 points, 1.1 blocks and 3.6 rebounds. But in the Big East tournament he posted 8.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.

Coleman. 6-9, 288 pounds. Wow. Struggled in his first year. But I've see it forever at SU...the Bigs take a while to develop.
2012 stats: 12.7 minutes, 4.8 points and 4.0 rebounds.

Michael Gbinije, Guard/Forward. All I know is he is 6-7 and can handle the ball. He is a Duke transfer. Was a 5 star recruit. I expect him to push Cooney, Ennis and even Grant for PT.
No stats for 2012 as he sat out last year.

Tyler Roberson, Small Forward. 6-8, 210 pound beast is SU most touted recruit in the 2013 class. There is so much depth on the baseline....I'm just not sure how he gets in the game. I don't see him redshirting though....and I expect to see him get minutes like Grant did in the 2012 season.
2012 stats at Roselle Catholic (NJ, 17.5 points, 11.7 rebounds and 3.3 blocks

Ron Patterson, Shooting Guard. Another one I know nothing of. He was highly recruited and committed to IU....went to school a little bit and left. I don't think he could handle the education requirements because he ended up enrolling at Brewster Academy (NH) before committing to SU.

B.J.Johnson. Yep...SU's got a Bad Johnson. At 6-7, he seems to be the prototypical Coach JB 2-3 zone player. Tall, lanky and athletic. I don't see him sniffing the court this year, but expect we will see him down the road a piece.

Chinonso Obokoh....pronounced Chee-No-so Oh-Bow-koh. That's all I know about him.

The 2013 - 2014 version of SU is so much like last years team. SU will lose a ton of scoring and will re-load. This is another one of those teams that is built to be sucessful during a tournament. I expect another mid season grind where the constent pounding wears them down and they drop some games. But come tournament time, thier length and bulk down low will give everyone fits. I expect a very deep run in the ACC and the NCAA tournamentss.

I think it's going to be a great year.

Offline BlueDy9asty

• KyHilljack wants to be me.
Re: SU Basketball 2013-2014 Style
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »
While Syracuse looks good on paper , they just don't seem to have that wow factor, I don't mean to slam on them , it's just, that zone only seems to carry them so far. They need to ramp their offense up and become more balanced. I'm not trying to offend because they are a good team, just seems to be missing something.

Offline Paul4Cats

• Big Sexy
  • All Time Legend
  • RIP TS RIP greg
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »
  kentucky1  kentucky1  kentucky1

Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.

Offline BlueDy9asty

• KyHilljack wants to be me.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »
 KyHilljack wants to be me.     CNA

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
So, after 12 years, Pitino finally makes good on his word to get U of L a NC...
The first for that program in over 25 years...
And yet, the U of L fan is still focused on U of K.

rofl
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
jonvi - I wasn't paying attention (surprise, surprise)...
And thought I was on the Wiggins thread.
Sorry about that.

I congratulated you for your Orange making the Final Four, didn't I?
If not, I have been remiss and will do my best to find a way to make it up to you.  anklebiter1
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »
Chinonso Obokoh....pronounced Chee-No-so Oh-Bow-koh. That's all I know about him.

Rochester kid. Think he came from a Country in Africa, adopted by a couple who both coach basketball at the high school level. Raw. Good to have a kid from around here on the Orange. Remember Johnny Wallace!?!

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
While Syracuse looks good on paper , they just don't seem to have that wow factor, I don't mean to slam on them , it's just, that zone only seems to carry them so far. They need to ramp their offense up and become more balanced. I'm not trying to offend because they are a good team, just seems to be missing something.

No offense taken.  I hear ya.  I like CJ to make another leap.  So I'm thinking he will wow you some next year.  But agree, the defense is going to have to be good again to get deep in the tournament. 

I'm also looking for one of the guards to step up in a big way.  According to the smart people, coming out of high school, there's a bunch of stars between Patterson, Gbiniji, Cooney and Tyler. One of them has to come on in a big way by the end of the year for SU to be succesful. 

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »

That's how we'ze holds the boxes together for da alley condo.  A 55 gal drum and some garbage wid left ova poke n' beens....got heat and dinnah. 

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »
jonvi - I wasn't paying attention (surprise, surprise)...
And thought I was on the Wiggins thread.
Sorry about that.

You were right to begin with.  And would be sad if you didn't stop by.  Khep will shower if he thinks you'll come by.   

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
I congratulated you for your Orange making the Final Four, didn't I?
If not, I have been remiss and will do my best to find a way to make it up to you.  anklebiter1

thanx       heart1

And yes you did. 

But call me anyways.    wiggle

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »
What's a shower? what1

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »
The decision is in.

Syracuse University junior C.J. Fair has come to a decision on whether he will enter the NBA Draft or return for his senior year. Fair made his decision while visiting his family in Baltimore over the weekend.

But Syracuse fans will have to wait at least another day to find out the news. Fair is expected to hold a press conference at Syracuse University this week, possibly as early as Tuesday, according to a source close to Fair.

Fair led Syracuse in both scoring (14.5 points per game) and rebounding (6.9 per game) this past season. He also led the Orange in 3-point shooting percentage.
Several NBA executives surveyed last week had Fair slotted as a second-round pick in this year's draft.

Fair's decision could have a huge impact on Syracuse for the 2013-14 season. The Orange is already losing three of its five starters in seniors Brandon Triche and James Southerland along with sophomore Michael Charter Williams who declared for the draft last week.

The fact that Fair will hold a press conference to announce his decision offers no indication of which way he is leaning. Last week, Michigan stars Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III held a news conference to announce they were returning to school.

Carmelo Anthony held a press conference when he left Syracuse, but Hakim Warrick had a press conference to announce he was staying. Carter-Williams had the university release a statement when he decided to enter this year's draft.

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »
Hope he stays, man do I hope he stays.

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 02:54:25 PM »
Hope he stays, man do I hope he stays.

Me too....and what's up with calling for a news conference?  #egocitymania

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
He is staying! Yeah Man!

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »
To stay or to go?

Syracuse's C.J. Fair chose the latter.

The Orange's leading scorer (14.5 points a game) and rebounder (6.9 a game) last season announced his decision Wednesday, giving coach Jim Boeheim a key returner as Syracuse transitions to the Atlantic Coast Conference in July.

RELATED: Louisville's Russ Smith returns

"This is great news for our basketball program and for C.J.," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said in a statement. "I believe he's just going to keep getting better and better as a basketball player and earning his degree is important."

Fair said another year of college basketball and graduating are in his best interests.

"After talking it over with my family and my coaches, I decided another year at Syracuse was best for me," Fair said in a statement. "I'm excited about working hard with my teammates to put together another great season and graduating has also been a goal of mine."

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
He is staying! Yeah Man!

ddbana         dbana         ber          gtrdude        cheer1            towl        moon1

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Good news...
For the Cuse.

grin1
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
Me so Happy!

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 06:53:45 AM »
Me so Happy!
Let me make you a little happier.  Did you read where Antonio Barton is looking at SU as a possible transfer location.  Barton is a junior guard out of Memphis....and is expected to graduate this June....which would make him eligible to play immediately.  He's graduating early, so he is a well educated and motivated man. 

He was a 5 star player coming out of high school.  Had a great freshman season...but his minutes and production have seriously dropped off the last two years. 

JB wouldn’t take him if he didn’t think he couldn’t get his head and game back.  With SU’s guards so young.....this kid could make SU an immediate final four team.  This guy is a stud....who needs some love. 

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 09:30:49 AM »
Did not hear that.

That's why I'm glad your over here my man.

I love good news, hope he signs on.

Offline jonvi

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »
Here's a link man. 

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/05/syracuse_basketball_is_possibl.html

I'm pumped.  If jamammy was here, he'd tell ya if SU gets him....they win it all next year.   yap

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 12:00:10 PM »
Nice read. Cuse sure has some things going for it in his decision making process. A whole bunch of connections. Good to hear Herman Harried is doing well.

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
"If you make every game a life or death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." DES