Author Topic: NCAA BASEBALL  (Read 5681 times)

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
NCAA BASEBALL
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:13:01 AM »
Welcome to the NGS College Baseball Thread.  Visit us every so often with updates on your favorite team, avi bets and tournament predictions.  Looking forward to friendly banter and updates as we approach the back end of the 2013 season.
"If you make every game a life or death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." DES

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
Re: NCAA BASEBALL
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
Most of us college baseball fans know where to find this, but for anyone else interested, I have posted a link to the Nitty Gritty Report on warrennolan.com.  As we head to the home stretch of the season, this report will show you the relative strength and/or weakness of your favorite team.  As this season progresses, this report will give you a pretty good idea of who will be making the NCAA tournament and it is updated almost daily.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2013/nitty
"If you make every game a life or death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." DES

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »
Thanks for the thread Gnat!

Arkansas is on a 3 game losing streak, Lost 2 games at Nebraska on Tuesday, and lost 1st of 3 game series to Texas A&M last night. Texas A&M had a pinch hit Grand Slam in the 8th last night to beat the Hogs 5-3.  Their game today is on ESPNU.
Woooo PIG Soooooie

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
..and to think they were they other pre-season #1 ranked team other than UNC.  The good news is that the season is long and there is time to recover.  Y'all's pitching is so good, I am sure the bats will come around here soon.

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
The Heels dispense with Duke in the first game of a double header 7-1.  Kent Emanuel went 9 complete innings giving up 1 hit and 2 walks throwing 102 pitches.  Great effort by the Junior lefty.

Offline Canes Canes Canes

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
Found it.  Thanks SG.

Canes have split 2 games with Clemson so far this weekend.  Both games were pitchers duels, with Clemson winning 1-0 Friday and Miami winning 2-1 this afternoon.  Game 3 tomorrow.

Gnat, do the Heels play the Criminoles this year?

I see that LSU and Bama are on TV tonight.  Cool.  Tigers are rolling.
I can't complain, and no one would listen anyway.

"All the fat guys watch me and say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay.  Bring me another beer.'"  --Mickey Lolich

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

We do not.  They are the lone ACC team left off the schedule.  Probably good for our record, but could hurt our RPI.

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »
Found it.  Thanks SG.

Canes have split 2 games with Clemson so far this weekend.  Both games were pitchers duels, with Clemson winning 1-0 Friday and Miami winning 2-1 this afternoon.  Game 3 tomorrow.

I see that LSU and Bama are on TV tonight.  Cool.  Tigers are rolling.

Canes, glad you see you found the Baseball board.  Gnat I have been very disappointed in the Hog's hitting and fielding, if they can get that straightened out we should be tough out in post season. The Heels are looking very good!!
Woooo PIG Soooooie

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
Canes, glad you see you found the Baseball board.  Gnat I have been very disappointed in the Hog's hitting and fielding, if they can get that straightened out we should be tough out in post season. The Heels are looking very good!!

Good to see you on here too.  Miami has also had issues with the bat, as shown by their run totals this weekend.  The starting pitching has been pretty good to excellent and the defense is decent.  I didn't know what to expect going into this season, but I'm OK w/the results.  I knew this was not a championship contending team, but they have been pretty good and barring a total collapse should keep their NCAA all-sport record of consecutive postseason appearances alive at 42 and counting.  The end of the conference schedule is decent to the Canes, they play Wake who is 4-15 or so in the conference, BC who has not won a conference game and then close with Ga Tech, so they should also qualify for the conference tourney.

Gnat, the Canes rotated off of NC St this year.  Hadn't played Clemson the last 2 years.  If form holds you'll see the Criminoles in the conf. tourney final.

"All the fat guys watch me and say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay.  Bring me another beer.'"  --Mickey Lolich

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »
Heels take the series with a 4-1 win over Duke.  Tomorrow we go for the sweep.  We have not hit the ball well this series, but seem to be able to manufacture runs off of others mistakes.

C3, I am hoping for an ACC final against FSU, but I understand they lost their series today against UVa...they are hard to figure out this year.  They should be the 2nd best team in the ACC.

We are now 38-2.  Who would have thought 40 games into the season you could lose only 2 games?  I hope the mojo continues into the post season.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:23:54 PM by SuperGnat »

Offline jonnytsunami

• Star
  • The beatings shall continue until morale improves
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 11:17:56 PM »
Well  what can I say about the Missouri Tigers... They stink!

Go Mizzou
That'll be the day .....
            stl3            den1         col2         missouri1

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
Heels take the series with a 4-1 win over Duke.  Tomorrow we go for the sweep.  We have not hit the ball well this series, but seem to be able to manufacture runs off of others mistakes.

C3, I am hoping for an ACC final against FSU, but I understand they lost their series today against UVa...they are hard to figure out this year.  They should be the 2nd best team in the ACC.

We are now 38-2.  Who would have thought 40 games into the season you could lose only 2 games?  I hope the mojo continues into the post season.

Just as impressive is that LSU is 37-3.  They eventually won last night vs. Bama in 16 innings.  The article I read said it was tied for the longest game in LSU's 120 years of baseball, they had played 16 vs. Bama in 1972 and also vs.South Alabama in 1996.  Games like that can kill a pitching staff though, we'll see what happens going forward.

Heels have played really well.  I see the schedule finishes with some good teams though and next Sunday vs. NC St is on 4 Letter Network U. 

I hope Miami gets ther game vs. Clemson in.  They moved yesterday's game up to avoid the rain and it worked.  We are supposed to have hit and miss showers all day, hopefully they miss campus . . .

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
If we can finish off dook and you take care of Clemson, that should set you guys up nicely for the ACC tourney.

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 04:24:26 PM »
If we can finish off dook and you take care of Clemson, that should set you guys up nicely for the ACC tourney.

Check.  Canes win7-0.  Heels win 10-1.  Meanwhile the Criminoles get swept at The Wahoos.  Wow.

And BC can't buy a break in conference play.  They lose to Wake in 11.

And Johnny's Tigers knock off FU 8-2 while the Hogs beat TA&M 2-1.  Bama bounces back to beat LSU in extras again.  A lot OB good baseball this weekend. 

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »
Interesting day of baseball today.  We head into the toughest part of our schedule playing UNC-Wilmington, Ga. Tech, NC State and Virginia.  Each of those teams have top 25 RPI's.

Good wins for the Canes and Piggies.  I am surprised 'Bama had enough pitching to keep the score that low after last night.

Offline jonnytsunami

• Star
  • The beatings shall continue until morale improves
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »
Freshman Josh Lester's four singles pave the way for mizzou to get win #13...I guess it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Go mizzou
That'll be the day .....
            stl3            den1         col2         missouri1

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »
NC State and UNC face off this weekend in Raleigh with both teams currently leading the nation in win streaks with 14 a piece. 

According to the latest RPI, 7 of the top 16 teams are in the ACC.  Looks like the conference is starting to flex a little baseball muscle.

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
NC State and UNC face off this weekend in Raleigh with both teams currently leading the nation in win streaks with 14 a piece. 

According to the latest RPI, 7 of the top 16 teams are in the ACC.  Looks like the conference is starting to flex a little baseball muscle.

They are also both in 1st place in their respective divisions.  Pack took advantage of the Wahoos' sweep of the Criminoles to jump into 1st a game ahead of FSU.

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
Arkansas got their bats going Saturday against Texas A&M for 12 runs on 15 hits. They cooled off again Sunday with 2 runs on 8 hits but were still able to win due to outstanding pitching and great Defensive plays. Hogs win series 2-1
Woooo PIG Soooooie

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
Arkansas vs Oklahoma today was canceled due to weather.
Woooo PIG Soooooie

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 08:11:04 PM »
The Heels drop their first non-conference game of the year tonight against UNC-Wilmington 9-8.  Mixed emotions here as I attended both schools and actually tried to walk on to the UNCW baseball team as a freshman.  UNCW broke into the Baseball America top 25 this week and should only strengthen their resume with a road win over the #1 ranked team.

We play UNC Charlotte tomorrow night in another mid-week tilt before our showdown with NC State in Raleigh this weekend.

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
Canes, did you ever get ahold of Geaux?

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
Carolina rebounds from last nights loss with a 10-2 win over Charlotte tonight.  Record stands at 40-3, the fastest the Heels have ever reached the 40 win mark.

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
Canes, did you ever get ahold of Geaux?

Haven't had time to look for his email yet.  I'll try and look tomorrow.

Canes win their midweek game over FAU 6-4.  Off to BC this weekend.  BC hasn't won a conference game, which means they will win at least 2 vs. the Canes.

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
Carolina takes care of NC State in game 1, 7-1.  Lots of hitting in this game, but not as much scoring as you would think.  The Heels had 14 hits and State had 9, but both left a ton of runners on base.  Tomorrow night we face State's stud Carlos Rodon.  Should be a low scoring game.

On another note, the Duke/Carolina lacrosse game has lots of scoring.  10 minutes left in the game and UNC barely holding onto a 16-15 lead after allowing Duke to score 8 unanswered point...oops, Duke just tied it at 16.  Dang, we had a 9 goal lead at one time!!!