Author Topic: NCAA BASEBALL  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Canes Canes Canes

• Star
  • Living The Dream
Re: NCAA BASEBALL
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
Canes blew a 9th inning lead and lost to Wake. Aggravating.  Fortunately Dook also lost.  Series winds up tomorrow.
I can't complain, and no one would listen anyway.

"All the fat guys watch me and say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay.  Bring me another beer.'"  --Mickey Lolich

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
Arkansas beat Tennessee today 10-2 to win series. Travel to Auburn this week to finish out regular season. We need a 3 game sweep against Auburn.
Woooo PIG Soooooie

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
UNC loses their first series of the year.  Ironically, the last series we lost was to the Yellow Jackets last year in Chapel Hill...they seem to have our number.  Looks like we will lose our grip on the #1 ranking in most of the polls, but we get our Freshman phenom back for the last few games of the regular season (Skye Bolt has been out with a broken foot for the last 10 games).
"If you make every game a life or death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." DES

Offline andyham1

• Star
  • ..RJ.....Rest in Peace, friend! We will miss you
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
LSU plays it last OOC game today against New Orleans Privateers, before finishing the reg season with a 3 game series  with Ole Miss, this weekend.  LSU is currently #2 in the nation and clinced the SEC WST last weekend by taking 2 of 3 at TAMU.

Geaux Tigers!
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11
NCAA FINAL FOUR 1953,81 86,87,2006
NCAA CWS 1986,87,89,90,91,93,94,96,97,98,2000,03,04,09

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »
Congrats andy! 

The Heels hosted Appalachian State tonight and barely squeaked by 2-0 in a pitching duel.  We have not hit the ball well lately and that doesn't bode well for the upcoming series with Virginia.  We need to win at least 1 game against the Wahoos to clinch the Coastal Division.  Good thing we are at home this weekend.
"If you make every game a life or death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." DES

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »
Canes close at home against surging Ga. Tech.  Been a strange year for the Canes.  They lost series to Duke, Wake and BC, who are all bottom feeders, but played fairly well against the rest of the league, winning series against Clemson and Va. Tech and playing well against UNC, the Criminoles and the Wahoos.  Miami needs to win one game to clinch a spot in the conference tourney, while a sweep could move them as high as the 6 seed.  On the other hand, if they get swept and either Wake or Duke sweep their series, Miami would be out of the conf. tourney.  A weird year for sure.

"All the fat guys watch me and say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay.  Bring me another beer.'"  --Mickey Lolich

Offline andyham1

• Star
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 06:46:22 AM »
Hey Guys, I wouldnt be all that concerned, as you both know its been a long season (a lot of games) and we are just coming into the 2nd season(conference tourney). I know LSU has experienced peaking prematurely( which I can relate to. LOL) in the past, as I am sure Miami and the Heels have done once or twice before. I never realised how important timing is. I mean its important in ALL sports, but its MOST important n baseball.(sorry dont mean to minimize roundball, where its equally important!)
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11

Offline andyham1

• Star
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »
First game of the 3 game series with ole miss starting in a few mins.
LSU lost first game of a 3 gm series to TAMU last wknd. LSU won series 2-1, only series lost was to S Carolina in Columbia!
Looks like LSU, UNC, Vandy, Oregon St. and ? who else ?  will host a Super Regional, if bottom doesnt fall out!

What are the other teams, that anyone else see's hosting?
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
Heels get crushed by Virginia 10-4.  Our Friday starter gave up 10 hits and 4 runs in 5 innings...OUCH!

Andy, I suspect VU, UNC, UVA, OSU, LSU, FSU are locks.  Oregon probably is as well.  I see the last slot coming down to South Carolina, NC State and Fullerton.  A big weekend for those three teams.  I don't think the selection committee will allow 4 ACC teams a National Seed, so my guess is USC based on their SOS.

Offline andyham1

• Star
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »
Hmm..Interesting, I didnt think about USC being one.  We crushed Ole Miss tonight. Cody glen pitched great and Mason Katz, who played 2nd base for only the 2nd time knocked the cover off and played good D.
Because of their record, Coach M. is resting pitchers and players, but I suspect he wants to keep the momentum. On a side note LSU had an inside the park HR tonite. Vandy eeked out a 1 run win @ bama!
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
Clemson hit an inside the park HR tonight also.

Canes knock off the Wramblin' Wreck 8-3 to clinch their spot in the ACC tourney.  Miami could finish as high as the 6 seed if they sweep GT and Va. Tech loses 1 to Wake.  Not too concerned about that now though, I'm just glad they are in.

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2013, 02:18:04 AM »
Arkansas lost the series opener with Auburn 3-0. The Hogs seem to lose the first game of most of their series. It's time to get on a roll and start playing better.
Woooo PIG Soooooie

Offline andyham1

• Star
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »
yeah Canes, I saw that. Wonder if that has ever happened before(have 2 in the same day) Unusual, at least!

Hawg, Tourney starts Weds, right? Or is it Tues. if you dont draw a bye?  Anyway, Arkie is having a strange season. Dont know if I have ever seen a team play so well, in some areas, then so BAD in others!
Keep the faith, a team like that can come around, just need to do it soon, we are fast approaching "NO RETURN"     G/L with your tourneys guys!
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
Congrats to the Diamond Heels for winning the ACC regular season championship in dramatic fashon with an 8-5 win over UVa tonight.  The Heels were down 5-2 heading into the bottom of the 8th (where UVA has outscored their opponents something like 1,000-9) and come through with a 6 run inning and seal the game with a three K 9th to win the game.

UNC heads into the ACC Tournament as the #1 seed.  The series is tied 1-1 with the rubber match set for tomorrow afternoon.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:36:37 PM by SuperGnat »

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »
yeah Canes, I saw that. Wonder if that has ever happened before(have 2 in the same day) Unusual, at least!

Hawg, Tourney starts Weds, right? Or is it Tues. if you dont draw a bye?  Anyway, Arkie is having a strange season. Dont know if I have ever seen a team play so well, in some areas, then so BAD in others!
Keep the faith, a team like that can come around, just need to do it soon, we are fast approaching "NO RETURN"     G/L with your tourneys guys!

Canes have been much the same, losing series to ACC also-rans Wake, BC and Duke while taking a series from potential natl. seed Clemson and, after tonight, another series from a GT squad that was the first team to take a series from UNC last week.  I wasn't sure going into this year what to expect, but the Canes have been much better defensively this year than last and theirs thing has been pretty good.  They are still a little thin on offense, but they won tonight 11-7.  Tomorrow they go for the sweep of the Wreck, a win guarantees the Canes the 7 seed in the ACC tourney with a chance to get the 6 seed if VT loses to Wake.

Offline andyham1

• Star
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »
WHAT A GAME IN BATON ROUGE! on the nite they rename the NEW Stadium "SKIP BERTMAN PARK", the Tigers come from one down with a 2 run homer by Rymes  in the 8th to take the 2nd game of the series. Lsu has lost only one series this year 2-1 in Columbia last month. Cotton came in and struck out the last batter.
Ole Miss played well after starting slow.  With LSU resting pitching and players again and the Rebels needing every victory for tourney seeding, it was again an impressive win. It looks good for the Tigers, right now, heading into the postseason!
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11

Offline andyham1

• Star
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
Congrats on a GREAT SEASON for UNC, Super Gnat!  I hate to keep saying it, but I think we will be rehashing future games, right here come June! (lol I really dont hate saying it)
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11

Offline andyham1

• Star
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
 :Ole Miss bounced back and won the last game of the series today, to keep from getting swept.
LSU jumped on them in the 4th, knocked their starter out with 4HRs and took a 7-2 lead. Coach Maneri then started pulling players and played everyone on the team today.   Ole Miss then came roaring back and took a 2 run lead in the 7th.
Rebels didnt quit and you gotta give em props!    :tiphat:

Lsu goes to Hoover, Ala  and plays Auburn this Weds in the SEC tourney
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »
Carolina dropped another one today 8-7 in 11 innings.  Another wild ride as the Heels were down 4-1 heading into the 8th and again came back to force the game into extra innings.  However, they allowed Virginia to score 4 in the 11th and were on their way to tying that up when Coach Fox decided to replace All-American Colin Moran with a freshman pinch-runner.  On the next pitch Sky Bolt hit what looked like a home run, but was caught on a wall hugging leap.  The runner on 3rd tagged and scored.  The pinch runner, however, didn't and was on third base when the Virginia short stop walked the ball over to first and stepped on the bag for the final out of the game.  You could hear a pin drop in the stadium at that moment.

The Heels have lost their last two series in a row.  We picked up a game against FSU for Monday.  Since this was not a regularily scheduled conference tilt, the game is considered a non-conference game.  After that, we head to Durham for the ACC Tournament starting Wednesday.

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
The ACC Tournament pairings are set and it looks like we start against the Canes on Thursday.  Complete schedule below:

http://m.goheels.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=207715460

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »
Canes lost the season finale yesterday 10-1 to finish w/the 8 seed.  First game in the conf. tourney is Thurs. at 3 vs. the Heels.  Torueny opens on Wed. For everyone else.

So I was looking up something else and saw an article about Texas baseball.  It's hard to believe, but the Horns finished last in the 9 team Big XII and did not qualify for the conference tourney.  It's hard for me to believe that that team could be that bad, especially in an average conference, but they are.  It's also hard to believe that people would want to get rid of Augie, but they do.  Maybe the game has passed him by, who knows. . . Some people have said that about Miami's coach, Jim Morris.  He's in his 60's now and the program has certainly not been as good the past few years.  I attribute some of that to the financial reality of college baseball and that a private school like Miami will always have a difficult time recruiting based on the cost and the lack of full scholarship, but there might be more to it.  We'll see what happens this postseason, a good run and some of the critics will be quieted.

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2013, 08:12:24 PM »
C3, I don't think the lack of scholarships is an issue, UNC only offers 10.7 schollies as do most of the public ACC teams.  I think it is more the ebb and flow of the game...everything runs in cycles.  Texas fans were complaining about Augie during their last CWS run too.  I believe that is just a function of UT sports in general.  They don't complain about the coaches in the sports they routinely suck in.

• Star
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »
My point on the schollies is that at Miami, even with a half-scholly school still costs well over $20K, while at a public school it can be a lot less.  That can make it tough to recruit against public schools with good programs.

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »
Arkansas dropped the final regular season series to Auburn 1-2. Auburn scored 11 runs in Saturdays game and was the most Arkansas has given up all season. Now it's Conference Tourney time.
Woooo PIG Soooooie

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »
Heels beat FSU 4-3 last night to finish the regular season at 48-8...the best record the program has ever had in college baseball.  We lead off the ACC tournament against Canes Canes, Thursday.  We close our office early on Friday.  I need to find out where Vehemon is so that we can meet at Taco Mac to watch the games.