Author Topic: Arkansas Razorbacks  (Read 193 times)

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
  • John 14: 1-14
Arkansas Razorbacks
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:31:31 AM »
Things have certainly changed for the Hogs since last season (and for the better.)  Bielema becoming the new head coach certainly is a step up, as if it took much lol.  I'm looking forward to the Razorbacks having a new, young head coach.  Not to mention the other coaching changes.  I certainly believe it will result in a boost in confidence for the players, as well.  Having a decent first recruiting season (and yes, I say decent since he was recruiting in a different conference) is a plus.  I'm anxious to see if the D will be better, which it's quite obvious they need.  This whole Dyer situation is intriguing to me, as well.  I know he's had trouble off the field, but he's also proven himself on the field.  He seems pretty sincere about having changed, but we can wait and see about that.  I have to believe BB would be pretty strict with him. 

I'm so ready for the season to start, even more so than usual... after that incredibly embarrassing season they had last year.  Surely this one will be better.  I'm always optimistic when it comes to my beloved Hogs (even though I know better lol) so I am going to predict more wins than losses (not many more) with a bowl appearance, however, I won't be the least bit surprised if their record is even, or worse.  I'm sure it'll take a couple of seasons for all of the new faces in Fayetteville to become adjusted. 

Well, I'll wrap my post up.  I'm curious, what do the rest of you think about Arkansas' chances this upcoming season?  Please feel free to be as blunt as you wish - I promise I won't be offended.  blitz1
“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” -Aquinas

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Re: Arkansas Razorbacks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »
Could be anywhere from 5-7 to 8-4 with a little magic..I'll be optimistic for the Hogs and guess 7-5.  Best of luck!
Don't give up.  Don't ever give up.

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline andyham1

• Star
  • ..RJ.....Rest in Peace, friend! We will miss you
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
I am gonna say 7-5 Hogfan, just cuz i dont want to upset you this far in advance of the season kickoff! lol
Seriously, 6-6 or 7-5 and I have NO crystal ball. I must confess, I am not impressed with Bielemas' work in the B10, so I feel he wont do well in the SEC west! Remember though, thats coming from an SEC fan that thinks if Les Miles would have taken the Michigan job we would have been hard pressed to do better for a while. I dont know, we will see, for Hog fans, I hope you guys get a break, there seems to be a dark cloud over the coaching dept. in Fayetteville lately. Schedule is tough as usual(playing West foes) and it will take Bielema most of the season, even if he is the REAL DEAL as you say. Petrino had a buttload of faults, but running a kick ass offense was not one of them.It will be hard for ARKIE fans to forget and get behind Bielema until he pulls a few victories  out of his hat against some western rivals!  Good luck, its not long now.                                                                                     
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11
NCAA FINAL FOUR 1953,81 86,87,2006
NCAA CWS 1986,87,89,90,91,93,94,96,97,98,2000,03,04,09

Online mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »
The Key to the Razorbacks is if we play a balanced game,  If Bielemas trys this "Big 10" run at 'em football I'm afraid all we can hope for is a weak non-confernece schedule.  While the running game is important, we need a solid passing game.  So I'm going to hold off until I can see what type of offense we really have.
car2 atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »
Could be anywhere from 5-7 to 8-4 with a little magic..I'll be optimistic for the Hogs and guess 7-5.  Best of luck!

blitzburgh, you are right, this could be a very good team and still not win 8 games. We could have the toughest schedule in the country.
Woooo PIG Soooooie

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:26 AM »
Hey Hawgwild! Good luck to your squad this year!

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09:47 PM »
Thanks for the posts!  Good stuff from all.  I agree with what most said here in so many words that it'll be tough.  That's regardless of who the coach is since it's the SEC West.  Season is getting closer and best of luck to everyone else and their squads!
“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” -Aquinas

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
  • Sesquipedalophobia is just mean.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
I was VERY glad to see Bielema go.  Wisconsin was easily my 2nd most hated team.  If he says there long he's sure to recruit all the giants out of Texas, Louisiana, & Arkansas and put them on the Razorback's O-line.  God, they were annoying to play.

Don't worry about not being able to throw the ball - the Bielema uses the backs & TE's really well once he forces the defense into bringing people up to stop the 7 & 8 man lines.

I doubt Arkansas could have a worse season than last year.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:26:38 PM by Zimmy07 »

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »
Thanks, Zimmy.  That stuff is good to know.  I hope they'll never have another season like last one lol.  That was just plain sad.

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »
Well, 3-2... could be better, could be worse.  I'm only mad about the loss @Rutgers.  They blew a good lead.  Watching the second half (mainly the 4th qtr) when Arkansas would get the ball after Rutgers would score, I was yelling at the tv because they'd snap the ball with 15+ seconds left instead of letting it run down.  I just can't help but think if Allen was in, it would've been a different ball game and outcome.  Oh well, it's done with.

It's very rare that I'm not mad after a loss.  It's even more rare that I am proud of the way any team I root for played after a loss.  That's how I felt after they lost to A&M, though.  I saw lines and predictions and everyone not only had them losing (minus some Arkansas fans, but most of what I saw of their predictions even thought it was going to be ugly) but I saw a lot of scores that said something like 52-17 W for A&M or A&M -31.  I wouldn't have bet on the Hogs winning, but my gut feeling was that it wasn't going to be as ugly as the predictions I saw (and I'll admit, that was probably wishful thinking even on my part.)  They lost by 12, 45-33.  I was proud of how they handled that Aggie qb, whose name I refuse to say and/or type because it's been said enough for 100,000 people.  He only had 59 total rushing yards and 261 total passing, which is 320 total yards.  I was VERY happy with that, because the Razorbacks haven't had a good defense in a long, LONG time.  I consider that very good for them.  Even though Alabama beat the Aggies in a shootout, he still had 464 yards through the air and 98 yards on the ground, 562 total.  I'm pretty proud of that, them playing better D against A&M than the Tide. 

Now, I'm not about to get on my high horse and say they're going to start beating everyone else this season or anything, but what I will say it makes me pretty excited about their future under Bret Bielema.  What usually happens if they're in a big game that's pretty much going back and forth but Arkansas has to punt and the other team gets another score, the Hogs would usually lose their poise and that's where it the game gets ugly.  That didn't happen Saturday, which I was worried about.  Maybe Bielema has been able to instill that "Never Yield" attitude.  It's still very early in the season, much less his career, so we'll see.  I'm glad he's brought the style of football he used at Wisconsin since they really were lost after Petrino was fired and the whole time the disaster known as John L. Smith was there.  They have a tough road ahead for the rest of the season and only 3 out of the last 7 are at home.

Has anyone noticed the Hogs running game?  Their backfield is pretty stacked with rb's & fb's.  The best 2 rb's they have are Jonathan Williams & Alex Collins, then Kiero Small at fb.  Collins is a true freshman and 5 star recruit out of Florida which is huge.  His play is definitely proving those 5 stars.  BB and his OC Jim Chaney have done a great job with Small.  He's always been a stocky guy, but now he's freakin' ripped.  He's not only good for bulldozing players for short yardage plays but also a really good blocker for the backs.  They have good players at other positions but I've already typed a novel in this post, sorry about that.

I will mention one more player, Travis Swanson.  He's a beast of a Center.  The reason I mention him is because Arkansas plays @Florida this weekend, and the Gators Damien Jacobs (DT) said Arkansas plays dirty and mentioned Swanson (they'll be lining up against each other) which makes me think he's kinda nervous about going one-on-one with Swanson.  I don't know if making the comments are a ploy to try and get the refs to watch close or what, but yeah, sounds like he might be nervous to me.  I hope the Razorbacks pound the Gators.

I can't wait for the Razorbacks future under Bielema.  It'll be even better if getting Collins from Florida opens a pipeline for more good players from that state.  What do y'all think so far?

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 11:34:47 PM »
I forgot the link to the story about Florida's Damien Jacobs:  http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/damien-jacobs-arkansas-dirty/

Offline hawgwildbomber

• Backup
  • Woooo PIG Sooooooie
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 12:50:37 AM »
   I was very pleased to see how well the Hogs played the Aggies. They looked like a good team most of the time, take out those 2 picks and the game could have had a different outcome. I picked the Hogs to lose both of the games they lost, but I have a feeling they are going to take down the Gators, so I picked them to win this week.
Woooo PIG Soooooie

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »
Good luck against the Gators today, I will be rooting for the Razorbacks!

Cuse has Clemson at home, this is huge test. If they lose by less than 21 I'll probably be happy ... sorta.

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 08:01:55 AM »
Hey hawg!  I agree, I was really proud of the game against A&M, and like you, I thought they'd actually sneak up on FL and win.  Oh well.  That was a rough game.  I'm not making an excuse, just a statement in saying, Florida seems to be a dirty playing bunch.  Not only the one who was ejected, but also all of the late hits they were flagged for too.  Oh well.  I mentioned on another thread, I wonder if they're pissed because Bielema has already started recruiting well and have more verbals from their state?  Who knows.  I look forward to the future of Arkansas recruits under Bielema.  Positive things coming to Fayetteville I hope!

Good luck against the Gators today, I will be rooting for the Razorbacks!

Cuse has Clemson at home, this is huge test. If they lose by less than 21 I'll probably be happy ... sorta.

Thank you, Khep!  It was a tough one.  Sorry about Syracuse too.  I know it's always exciting hoping your team will be the giant killer.  It wasn't as nearly bad as they beat some teams, and there is no shame when it's to one of the three best teams in the country.  I'm sure that doesn't help, because it never helps me, but still, it's true.  I bet next week they'll easily take care of NC State, good luck!

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
The season could've gone a LOT better... not much worse.

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
  • Sesquipedalophobia is just mean.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
I'm still surprised by that.  I think I saw a photo of Bielma standing on the sidelines looking as if he were in a state of shock.  I still don't much like him & found that funny, but feel bad for you, though.