Author Topic: A question about the "After Further Review" section  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
A question about the "After Further Review" section
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
So, how many other hidden boards are there on NGS ?  And is the impetus for creating them simply when one person gets bent out of shape about other peoples' discussions ?  I've searched the rules, but there's nothing there that describes this action.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
  • Pickems Record: 12/16
Re: A question about the "After Further Review" section
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
Yes we have a Admin and Mod section that only Admin and Mods can see.
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline Paul4Cats

• Big Sexy
  • All Time Legend
  • RIP TS RIP greg
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »
So, how many other hidden boards are there on NGS ?
Bend over and I'll show you.
  kentucky1  kentucky1  kentucky1

Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »
Yes we have a Admin and Mod section that only Admin and Mods can see.
I saw.  I was more concerned about the "solution" to banish AFR threads to a hidden netherworld so that their invisible presence no longer offends a certain someone...

Your admin area makes sense enough to me, and ordinary posters don't need to see that one.

Bend over and I'll show you.
Buy me dinner first.  It's my birthday, not yours.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Super Mod
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
May I ask a question?  First look at your personal text.

Beats the hell outta CBS...

And you are very correct, good people here and more freedoms.  But.........

Why push the envelope?  What are some of these "discussions" trying to prove?

Went out last night and got really wasted. 
I woke up in the middle of the night next to some chick who was snoring and farting, so I knew I made it home OK.

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »
I saw.  I was more concerned about the "solution" to banish AFR threads to a hidden netherworld so that their invisible presence no longer offends a certain someone...

Your admin area makes sense enough to me, and ordinary posters don't need to see that one.

What I displayed was never meant to be a full fledge solution but rather a demonstration to some of the settings we have.

I'd say less the 50 posters even noticed the change anyways.

One of the ideas in the past to curve our BW was to redirect some of the posters over to Smokerunner to do some of the Games and Live Chat and few other things.  This was a great way to get input IMO. 
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline handicappers

• Veteran
  • Soccer: World's Most Popular Sport
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »
Bunch of snobs.  How much I gotta pay to get on the "cool" list?
Take it to the Pwn Shop.

Sol is the fattest Internet stoner burnout in the entire intrawebs. Totally worthless with massive gravy tits and multiple douchiness

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »
Bunch of snobs.  How much I gotta pay to get on the "cool" list?

I'll give you some NGS bucks to pay for it...LOL
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline PatsFan

• All Time Legend
  • "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing"
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
 uwish uwish uwish uwish uwish uwish uwish uwish uwish
" The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 12:17:18 AM »
May I ask a question?  First look at your personal text.

Beats the hell outta CBS...
I stand behind it.  However, if you had visited CBS, you would understand that it's still setting the bar quite low.

And you are very correct, good people here and more freedoms.  But.........

Why push the envelope?
The concern is that it's trading one set of freedoms for another.  One uppity person gets hung up about what a few other people are talking about and the result is segregation.  Say what you will about CBS, at least people were free to express an opinion: for example, religion and its effects upon the world were discussed openly in several threads in the Off-Topic area there, while simultaneously a "Prayers" thread allowed Christians to discuss matters of faith and wish each other well.  Neither area was hidden from view, and members from both areas could inter-mingle.  They chose not to, and everyone was largely happy.

What are some of these "discussions" trying to prove?
Good point.   Why bother at all ?  What's the point of existence on a message board anyway ?
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:48 AM »
This is how I see it...

Lets say I rent a hotel for a big bash and this hotel is ten stories tall and has 100 rooms per story. (1000 Rooms)

Is it segregation when we find we only have 500 people show up for the party?

People are going to seek out others and If I'm hopeful those 500 that showed up will all show up in one room in the long run.

But that's far fetched...

I'm better off creating the ten stories into different themes...each level of the hotel has a different party theme.

Then from there those that like a certain level will see the 100 different rooms and venture from each room but on the same story.

Is it segregation when we give every one the same option and they choose what level of the hotel they want to party on?

Is Segregation the right word in this debate? Can we find a different word, Segregation sounds so 60's?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:07:52 AM by Fog »
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
I'm hopeful those 500 that showed up will all show up in one room in the long run.
As long as we eventually get there, yes.  Hiding away people before hand, because someone has delicate sensibilities doesn't seem that conducive.
Is Segregation the right word in this debate? Can we find a different word, Segregation sounds so 60's?
Yes, segregation is the right word.  Particularly given who some of these posters are (racist!).
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline wild-turkey

• Star
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
Misterfamous,

I can read the Mod and Admin site and I have followed most of the discussion plus I "observed" the integration of the MKT thread and this is what I honestly feel the situation is right now:

1.  You have several posters that have freaked because a lot of the posters they were scared the Hell of all of a sudden showed up here.  Now the reason they were scared is that they never gave you guys a chance and more than likely jumped in with both feet over on CBS and were upset when that approach back fired on them. 

2.  The "Off- Topic" posters have been repressed for quite a while on CBS so when they got a taste of more freedom the impulse was to go a little nuts and some of that did happen (although less than I would have thought).

3.  The "Off-Topic" posters tend to be more resistent to authority than your average poster and will push back if they can if for no other reason to test the boundaries.  For instance you were lead to believe that you could do what you want over here but the realty is you can't and I'm not sure you could even run a site without some rules.

Now MKT had these issues as well and they went through simular process but the posters settled in learned the lay of the land and now for the most part everything is cool.  From what I have seen the plan is to give you guys a private space to learn the ins and outs, learn how to moderate yourselves (trust me a lot more difficult than you would thing and a lot more responsiblity than some of you may want) and get comfortable.

FOG,

I think you guys should consider making a couple of these guys moderators for the AFR so they can get in the loop and become Ambassadors for their fellow posters.  Having representatives that they trust and respect may go a long way in helping this group adjust.  Having posted with this group for some time I would suggest the following if they were willing:

Misterfamous
Swizzlesticks (formally Nathan)

At the end of the day it is up to you but I think this would change the "Trust" factor considerably on both sides, give you additional avenues in communicating with this group and set them down the path of self moderation which should be the goal anyway.

Special Note:  If they do offer you moderation abilities please remember the following:

1.  You will not all of sudden have some great power because about the only thing you can do is modify others posts and honestly you should avoid doing that unless the situation is way out of hand.

2.  There will be posters that are resentful and will take some of that out of you or bug you to death with issues.  In other words its not all fun and games.

3.  It will give you access to the mod & admin areas where you take thoughts and suggestions to the folks who run this site and give you and your fellow posters a voice (but note not necessarily a vote).

That is my take anyway for what it is worth.

Offline B_lake

• Star
  • Ask your girl, she know...
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
I'd love to see Nathan's reply to Wild-Turkey's last post..
"You can't make oranges be peaches"

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
It would be 7,000 words long...
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline dbldwn711

• Star
  • NGS is the Best
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »

HAHAHA 

A point by point treatise!  hahaha

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
Just keep being yourselves guys.  There were bound to be some growing pains with a big migration like this, but we appreciate your contributions to NGS Forums.
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline andyham1

• Star
  • ..RJ.....Rest in Peace, friend! We will miss you
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »
Fog, it makes GOOD, COMMON SENSE!  Thats why it will NEVER work for a message board!   j/k
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11
NCAA FINAL FOUR 1953,81 86,87,2006
NCAA CWS 1986,87,89,90,91,93,94,96,97,98,2000,03,04,09