Author Topic: Vikings' Defensive Ends  (Read 495 times)

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
Vikings' Defensive Ends
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
Right now, my top priority would be getting Everson Griffen resigned to a long-term deal. The guy fell from the first round of the 2010 draft because he was supposed to have character issues. Well, he had the one bad spring, but he has stayed out of trouble since then. I think he's going to be a stud. He can produce from anywhere on the field, but he is best at the defensive end position.

I think that Brian Robison will begin the season starting, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of Griffen in this spot instead of just sticking him inside on passing downs. I don't think the Vikings resign Robison next off-season.

Jared Allen is the tricky peace. He still produces at a very high level, and it sounds like he is getting healthy again with his shoulder, which he wasn't last year. Not to mention... he's starting to grow the mullet out again. I think that sitting on this and having him play out the last year would be a bad idea. They either need to trade him while his value is high, or resign him to a long-term deal.

I really think the Vikings need to resign Allen pretty quick. The guy is going to keep producing at a high level for another 4-5 years, IMO. He is a great leader in the lockerroom and in the community. He has some playoff experiences along with Greenway on the defense. It sounds like Harrison Smith wants to step up in the secondary as a leader, which is great, but Kevin Williams is going to be gone after next year, and I just don't like the idea of having absolutely no long-term vets on the defense.

So that is what I would do. Resign Griffen and Allen this May, let Robison play out his deal, and then look at the roster depth to see if we need to draft another defensive end in the middle rounds next year to start plugging in the rotation. I just don't want to lose Allen and then be having to look at defensive tackle, defensive end, and linebacker as areas that we should be drafting in the first round again next season.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
Re: Vikings' Defensive Ends
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
Defensive tackle is covered with the Sharif Floyd draft! I agree that Griffen and Allen should be re-signed, but Griffen is the backup to Allen at least on the depth charts. Maybe we need to split his time with Robison. I think Allen is still pretty good, but he is getting older as well and so is Greenway. They are both in their 30's and with the youth movement that Spielman has going on I don't see the Vikes giving Allen a big contract again. Trading him while he still has value may not be a bad idea. I vote for seeing how he does this year and then working on a deal.
min1 stl3

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
I really don't think that defensive tackle is set with Floyd. He is going to be great, but this is the last year that Kevin Williams is a Viking. Letroy Guion, Fred Robbins, Christian Ballard... none of those guys seemed to grab the spot next to Kevin Williams, and I doubt any of them do next year. Floyd will replace Kevin Williams next year, but the Vikings still need a big defensive tackle to bring what Pat Williams used to bring.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »
I do agree with that Iven. I think that Everett Dawkins that they drafted out of Florida State might be a sleeper draft pick. The guy looks good on paper anyway.
min1 stl3

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:41:44 AM »
I'm still a little iffy and resigning Allen. I agree about the Vet presence and he would definitely deserve it and a fan favourite too. From a monitary side it might be time to move on unless Allen will do a cap friendly deal. I can see Griffin and Robison both being starters for awhile. Love to keep Allen but at what cost IMO is the issue. Agree we still need another top end DT and next years draft will probably be the place to get it.

Offline MaryJane

• Starter
  • 😜I Ain't Got No Worries😜
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
Shoulda traded Allen
virginia1 atl3 duke1 min1

Offline MaryJane

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »
Hutch!!! What up!!! I told you cp and Alec was gonna fall to us lol

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »
Hey Mary Jane

Yes you did.......I couldn't believe how many players of need fell to us. Ogletree, Patterson, Floyd, Rhodes, Datone Jones. I wanted Ogletree too but I'm very happy on who fell to us. Glad Spielman had the balls to trade up for Patterson. Outside of not have a pick for Mathieu I'm glad we took a chance on a possible superstar.  first round picks in 2 years is amazing. We have 5 quality starters tied up for upto 5 years (club option) so cap wise down the road this will give us a great chance to build a super bowl calibre team without being strapped financially.

Really hope Ponder has that break out year.....We need him to step up huge......don't want to us another first round pick on a QB next year.

Offline MaryJane

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »
Yea I pretty satisfied I guess we could gone LB instead of corner IMO but I trustm they know way more then me

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »
Hey Mary Jane

Yes you did.......I couldn't believe how many players of need fell to us. Ogletree, Patterson, Floyd, Rhodes, Datone Jones. I wanted Ogletree too but I'm very happy on who fell to us. Glad Spielman had the balls to trade up for Patterson. Outside of not have a pick for Mathieu I'm glad we took a chance on a possible superstar.  first round picks in 2 years is amazing. We have 5 quality starters tied up for upto 5 years (club option) so cap wise down the road this will give us a great chance to build a super bowl calibre team without being strapped financially.

Really hope Ponder has that break out year.....We need him to step up huge......don't want to us another first round pick on a QB next year.

No excuses for Ponder anymore....

As for the DEs.  Kinda hope JA takes a team friendly contract extension.  He seems like the type of dude that would. If we have a good season and we want to get a final piece so to speak.  Again, depends how this season goes.  Otherwise I can see him as gone.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.