Author Topic: New Stadium  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Simmion

• Star
New Stadium
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »
A lot of glass.  But I think I love it.  It's not anything i've seen.  It might be a little cheesy with the "ship's point" but, again.  It's not like any other stadium and not some round piece of crap with a tarp cover like the dome. What stadium now a days has a glass roof?
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hyperboreans

• NGS is the Best
Re: New Stadium
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »
I think I am going to love it; however, there are a few things that scare me.  I really hope the glass ceiling is clear and gives the fan the feeling of being outside.  If the glass is cloudy and gray, I don't think I will like it.  Will the glass cloud over time?  Will the snow run off the roof?  Could they grow real grass in there?  It would be great if our house was the best palace in all the land, and it looks like the Vikings are really trying to do that.  The modern look doesn't bother me.  As long as it's not drastically over-styled, I think it will look good. 

Can't wait to check it out.  Wonder how much it will cost?

Offline Hyperboreans

• NGS is the Best
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:13 PM »
By the cost, I mean the ticket price, not the price of the stadium.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:20:07 AM »
I love the new design and all the glass. This should be really cool when it's finished. A retractable roof really IMO didn't make much sense in Minnesota. This is a nice way to save some money and yet offer a really cool experience to Viking fans and whom ever else will be using the new stadium. It's very different and something they don't have in Dallas.......anything that might make Jerry Jones jealous is ok with me.

Offline Arasmis

• NFC North Champions 4 years running: Green Bay Packers!
  • Battle God
  • Star
  • Is it Football season yet?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »

Definitely Unique looking.  I think having the seats all Viking Purple is a neat touch if they go with that.

Offline bluenosecanuck

• Attention Whore
  • Star
  • Aka SLKaos
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
I'll admit, the artists rendition of how it will look seem pretty cool.  How are they going to keep them clean/clear though?

No, I'm not taking you seriously

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
I'll admit, the artists rendition of how it will look seem pretty cool.  How are they going to keep them clean/clear though?

Big time bucks for the guy walking that roof thats for sure.

I just love that it's different.  Over on SI, the comments were saying how it's disgusting. Worst looking garbage,  should have gone a traditional look like Lucas Oil.  And no offense cause I like Lucas Oil stadium, but when it comes to stadiums.  I do not mind thinking outside of the box as long as it's not shaped into a snail's shell or some stupid crap like Dubai does so you can "see the shape from space" Ok, that is kinda cool as well.  But this stadium met that happy medium of being modern/unique, but not going over board where you think you are looking at  the largest art museum ever created.  Besides cities already have a generic brick stadium (which I love) in TCF.

I get why people think it's ugly.  It's fresh.  No one thought the ray bans were cool at first... Haha.  OK, yeah they did. 
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
I had to go back to cbssports for a bit to see what they were saying (I was expecting harsh criticism because of how different it is).  I just didn't expect it to this extent.  It's glass, it has a pointed edge.  I guess I don't find too many buildings as ugly.  Except the few options they showed months back as ideas.

That rolling roof was the "too much" I mentioned.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »

Offline DLPackers

• 2011 NFL Champs - Packers!!!
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Packers number one!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:16:43 PM »
Simmion do you live in MN?
So I am a Packers fan in North Carolina, that just means I'm smarter than the rest of 'em!!!

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »
Simmion do you live in MN?

Duluth, MN.  Born in South Minneapolis.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
So as Garrison Keillor says.  I cannot claim myself as a Duluthian since I wasn't born there.

Offline DLPackers

• 2011 NFL Champs - Packers!!!
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Packers number one!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 07:25:40 AM »
Keillor. Ick...

My wife's family is all from Cloquet. I was born in the cities and live near Forest Lake now.
So I am a Packers fan in North Carolina, that just means I'm smarter than the rest of 'em!!!

Offline Arasmis

• NFC North Champions 4 years running: Green Bay Packers!
  • Battle God
  • Star
  • Is it Football season yet?
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
At least once a year I have to travel to Albany/Avon to see a customer and all I see is stuff about Lake Wobegon, but, I finally found out there isn't such a place.

Offline MaryJane

• Starter
  • 😜I Ain't Got No Worries😜
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
When's the stadium gonna be finished?
virginia1 atl3 duke1 min1

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »
It'll be ready for the 2016 season. 

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
Keillor. Ick...

My wife's family is all from Cloquet. I was born in the cities and live near Forest Lake now.

Haha, yeah I don't listen to him, but he had a pretty funny Duluth bit. 

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »
At least once a year I have to travel to Albany/Avon to see a customer and all I see is stuff about Lake Wobegon, but, I finally found out there isn't such a place.

It's hilarious you said this, because I was just behind a car today that had a "Where the %&$# is Lake Wobegon" bumper sticker... Haha.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
As long as I don't have to stand in line for 45 minutes to go to the bathroom, I love it! I am curious to know what ticket prices will be and what beer prices will be!
min1 stl3

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
As long as I don't have to stand in line for 45 minutes to go to the bathroom, I love it! I am curious to know what ticket prices will be and what beer prices will be!

I have a feeling I will have to cut out a few extra things a year to attend a game from what I used to...

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
That is what 2nd mortgages are for Simmion! LOL!!!
min1 stl3

Offline SoCalSaint

• Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »
Simmion
So this is where you've been hiding. How ya doing. Nice building. Thats a lot of glass

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 09:25:38 PM »
So Cal!  Glad to have you along.  Yeah once they got rid of profiles and threads, I was out. 

Yeah I like the glass idea to be honest.  The shape is kinda meh... I mean it's cool, but I guess I didn't know what to expect and probably couldn't have offered a better looking stadium.  The inside is insanely nice with the view through the glass being the skyscape. 

Again, glad to have you along.  I would have answered earlier but I have been away from a computer for work since April. With splashes of opportunity here and there.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »
since  I don't have to pay for it or brave the weather during late season games, I would have loved an outdoor stadium, old school, huge home field advantage  and great fun to watch sitting next to the fire in December.
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 08:14:27 PM »
since  I don't have to pay for it or brave the weather during late season games, I would have loved an outdoor stadium, old school, huge home field advantage  and great fun to watch sitting next to the fire in December.

I think the home field advantage of being outdoors is overrated personally.  I think sound and deafening cheering is more important.  The stories of yesteryear being from the North and having frozen tundra when teams like the Bears and Packers playing in the same elements, really the weather of playing outside really is a burden on both teams. Homefield advantage has and always will be the fans causing the other team to lose focus.

Granted I am not old school being only 30 years old.  Maybe the cold weather was an advantage in the past.  Weather does not seem to be a factor anymore.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.