Author Topic: Superbowl homefield = Bad Season?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
  • Sesquipedalophobia is just mean.
Superbowl homefield = Bad Season?
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
41 teams missed the playoffs when the Superbowl was in or very near their home stadium.  (I'm counting Pasadena as very near Los Angeles & San Diego, Palo Alto as very near San Francisco, etc.)
31 teams finished with a losing record.  I actually thought almost all teams did & there was some sort of curse or something - but it's not the case.

Super Bowl V - Miami, the Dolphins went 10-4, then lost to the Raiders in Oakland to end their season.
Super Bowl XI - Pasadena, the Rams went 10-3-1, then lost to the Vikings in Minnesota to end their season.
Super Bowl XIII - Miami, the Dolphins went 11-5, then lost to the Oilers at home to end their season.
Super Bowl XIV - Pasadena, the Rams went 9-7, then lost to the Oilers at home to end their season.
Super Bowl XIV - Pasadena, the Chargers went 12-4, then beat the Cowboys in Dallas, then beat the Buccaneers in Tampa, Then lost to the Steelers in Pasadena.
Super Bowl XVII - Pasadena, the Chargers went 6-3, then beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, then lost to the Dolphins in Miami to end their season.
Super Bowl XVII - Pasadena, the Raiders went 8-1, then beat the Browns at home, then lost to the Jets at home to end their season.
Super Bowl XIX - Palo Alto, the 49'ers went 15-1, then beat the Giants at home, then beat the Bears at home, then beat the Dolphins in Palo Alto to win the Super Bowl.
Super Bowl XXI - Pasadena, the Rams went 10-6, then lost to the Redskins in Washington to end their season.
Super Bowl XXVII - Pasadena, the Chargers went 11-5, then beat the Chiefs at home, then lost to the Dolphins in Miami to end their season.
Super Bowl XXIX - Miami, the Dolphins went 10-6, then beat the Chiefs at home, then lost to the Chargers in San Diego to end their season.
Super Bowl XXXIII - Miami, the Dolphins went 10-6, then beat the Bills at home, then lost to the Broncos in Denver to end their season.
Super Bowl XXXV - Tampa, the Buccaneers went 10-6, then lost to the Eagles in Philadelphia to end their season.

Offline The Ghost of Paul Fizzle

• The Shadow Council's Most Hated Man
  • Star
  • I can smell the Tang from a mile away
Re: Superbowl homefield = Bad Season?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
Who hosts the big dance this year?
The Godfather of Troll

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »
East Rutherford, NJ!  Sorry Jets, Giants!

Offline DLPackers

• 2011 NFL Champs - Packers!!!
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Packers number one!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »
Well the Jets weren't going anyways...
So I am a Packers fan in North Carolina, that just means I'm smarter than the rest of 'em!!!

Offline Rod Smart

• Star
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »
Things you can always count on:

Superbowl losers will have a letdown
The running back who led the league in carriers will get injured/suck
The player on the cover of Madden will get injured/suck/text pictures of his dick to the internet/die
The team that hosts the Superbowl will not be in the Superbowl   

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
Jerry was certain dem COWBOYS would be the first to play at home in SB XLV.  Did they even finish above .500?
Don't give up.  Don't ever give up.

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline PatsFan

• All Time Legend
  • "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing"
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:40 AM »
The Packers defeated the Steelers by the score of 31–25. The game was played on February 6, 2011, at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Cowboys record that year was 6-10
" The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

Offline Raylan Michael Molnar

• Coach
  • "You gonna 'pull' on me?"
  • Pickems Record: 81 and counting.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
Super Bowl XIV - Pasadena, the Chargers went 12-4, then beat the Cowboys in Dallas, then beat the Buccaneers in Tampa, Then lost to the Steelers in Pasadena.
Super Bowl XVII - Pasadena, the Chargers went 6-3, then beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, then lost to the Dolphins in Miami to end their season.
Super Bowl XXVII - Pasadena, the Chargers went 11-5, then beat the Chiefs at home, then lost to the Dolphins in Miami to end their season.

Not home field but I get the idea.

I would postulate the notion that a Superbowl is Never a Home Field because very few true "Home" team fans can afford to buy tickets.

Nice outfit, Baby.

ana2  sd3

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
East Rutherford, NJ!  Sorry Jets, Giants!
Hey, that's not fair.  Just because the Jets are already 2-7 and the season hasn't even started yet is no cause for rudeness...
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
I would postulate the notion that a Superbowl is Never a Home Field because very few true "Home" team fans can afford to buy tickets.
Great point.  It's not as though you're playing in front of anything like a home field crowd.  Most of those attending are just idiots happy to be at the Super Bowl holding up glow sticks and watching Bon Jovi sing "Bed of Roses".  They cheer at kick-off, when a pass gets completed, or when a pass gets broken up, or even when the in-stadium Doritos ads are shown...
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »
The Giants are looking good for this year to break that string. As for the Jet's, Gino may be the answer but not as long as Ryan is the head Coach and not the Defensive Coordinator
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:49 PM »
 The Giants are the 3rd best team in the division let alone the conference
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
Sorry Sith, but no way are they behind the Cowboys and Eagles

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:36:17 PM »
 Naw....your team is better than the Eagles
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 03:06:38 PM »
Jets: 8-8
Giants: 7-9.

It would have probably been kind of nuts if one of those teams made it, though.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
N August it looked promising but by October the Giants were done. They had a good second half as they went 7-3.

Offline Sportfan01

• Site Moderator
  • Coach
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »
 Superbowl homefield = Bad Season?

yep.