Author Topic: BearDawg's NASCAR Faith Foundation  (Read 1616 times)

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
  • Home is where my treestand is
BearDawg's NASCAR Faith Foundation
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
I know we had a board on CBS way back when for people to talk about their faith, ask for prayers for themselves/friends/family, and other faith-based topics.  Thought I would try to bring it back on the NGS boards for anyone that might be interested.  Here is what I'm trying to accomplish with this:

1.) A place for people to come together in faith
2.) A network for anyone with problems/looking for deeper understanding
3.) Discussions on faith and faith-based issues

By all means anyone can join in the discussions/posts, consider this like the nondenominational community church-esque thread.  Also, I'm not claiming to be a spiritual leader, but if anyone feels like they need to discuss any issues they can certainly PM me and we'll have a very private discussion....mostly listening, not thumping anything, but offering solutions to problems.

"For you are all sons of God, through the faith in Christ Jesus." - Galatians 3:26
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
Re: BearDawg's NASCAR Faith Foundation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
Great idea Bear.  Thanks.

Went out last night and got really wasted. 
I woke up in the middle of the night next to some chick who was snoring and farting, so I knew I made it home OK.

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »
Thanks, RR.  Got the motivation from watching some youtube videos of the Robertson's of Duck Dynasty talk about their faith/family connections
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline BowTimeRowdy

• LNU's Chick Magnet!
  • Go Rowdy !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
:)

Offline River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »
Thanks, RR.  Got the motivation from watching some youtube videos of the Robertson's of Duck Dynasty talk about their faith/family connections

The show doesn't do justice to how strong their faith is. 

Went out last night and got really wasted. 
I woke up in the middle of the night next to some chick who was snoring and farting, so I knew I made it home OK.

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
That's for sure, the youtube videos of them talking at Universities and at events really showcases their faith/values.  They go about it the right way, too.  One of the videos I saw was Phil talking with a small production group in his house, and he was talking about how the editors in LA tried to take out the parts of the show when Phil says, "In Jesus Christ's name we pray, Amen."  He didn't get irrate and start throwing out umpteen verses of scripture, he simply made a completely simple and logical explanation of why he thought it should be there.  In the end, the editors agreed to keep it in the show occasionally.

I think in today's society, that's the way you need to go about it to get people to understand your belief in Christianity.  For someone who doesn't believe, it's a turn off when they feel like they are being preached to.  I find it better to use the bible as a reference, but use real life experiences instead of "bible thumping", to appeal to the masses.  Probably one of the reasons the show has remained successful while still keeping so much of the faith in the show.

Willie made a similar statement at a speech he did at Harding, saying he chooses to just listen and offer advice from the Bible when it's necessary.  If you haven't seen the videos, they are really quite good!
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
BD - Nice Job, I was recently thinking of this and I am glad you put it out there.

Coach had started the thread on cBS and I was thinking that we could use one here.  The NASCAR family lives here at NGS and it is great that we can support eachother and be open about our beliefs.

I am working on reading the Bible daily, started the end of June.  I know it may seem corny to some, but you would be surprised at how much you can get out of the texts when you are consistently reading.
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »
Thanks, Jedi!

I've read through the Bible, but I don't know that ever really read it.  With my work schedule I'm not able to consistently attend a bible study class at the local church, but I'm looking to find something online to help me really understand what it is I'm reading.

God Bless!
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline Cookie

• LNU's Favorite Snacky!
  • Hank Aaron
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »
Great idea!

If you trust your rebel heart, ride it into battle
Don't be afraid, take the road less traveled
Wear out your boots and kick up the gravel
Don't be afraid, take the road less traveled on

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 01:31:42 AM »
Love the idea and look forward to the discussions. I must confess that since my grandmother passed I have been lacking in my faith. Even though that was many years ago. Just when I was willing to try and renew something would happen that would make me say "why " bother if this is going to happen anyway ". An excuse I know but hard to get past. She was my rock and I miss her so.
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »
Love the idea and look forward to the discussions. I must confess that since my grandmother passed I have been lacking in my faith. Even though that was many years ago. Just when I was willing to try and renew something would happen that would make me say "why " bother if this is going to happen anyway ". An excuse I know but hard to get past. She was my rock and I miss her so.

I think that's definitely something a lot of people have had to grapple with.  Our faith is tested most in times of tragedy, and it can be very hard to not say "why?".  I've found a couple verses that help me keep things in perspective in times like these:

"In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33, NLT).
"Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world" (1 John 4:4, NASB).

In my personal experience, when I was younger my father had a massive heart attack and was legally dead for 5 minutes.  When they got him stabilized and he came to, he talked about the incredible warmth/peace he felt during that time and seeing Christ, being held in his arms.  Whenever my faith is strained, I always come back to that moment.  I suppose our trust is gained in large part from our experiences.
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Both of those are good to remember especially John 16.33

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 07:54:46 AM »
Heard on a local radio station that a battalion of soldiers out of VT is being deployed to Afghanistan this weekend.  Sending out my prayers and asking for everyone else to pray for their safety and for their families.  Never easy to say goodbye, so I pray the Lord gives them strength and protection.
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
Heard on a local radio station that a battalion of soldiers out of VT is being deployed to Afghanistan this weekend.  Sending out my prayers and asking for everyone else to pray for their safety and for their families.  Never easy to say goodbye, so I pray the Lord gives them strength and protection.
Always a scary place to go.  Prayers go out to them.

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 09:21:57 AM »
Just saw on Jayski that our old CBS friend Pete Pistone's mother passed away this weekend.  Prayers go out to the Pistone family during this difficult time.  God bless, Pete!
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »
I put a post out on the NASCAR board as well about the passing of Pete's mother. 

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »
I can't help but feel utterly disgusted after hearing the news about the tragic passing of Adrien Peterson's son.  How can someone do that to child?  I like to think there is a special place in hell for people like that (is that bad to think that way?)
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
And of course, my heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to the Peterson family....it's tragic to lose someone so young
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline bondkbond

• Coach
  • Bar Tab Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »
Wow Bear, no doubt. It just doesn't get much worse than losing a child. I hope AP doesn't get a hold of that coward!

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Decades of Confusion
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 09:08:37 PM »
I hope he has enough respect for his son to sit out this weekend.  Reports are he said he was going to play,  but I hope he doesn't.  I know players have played when their Father has died and probably rightfully so.   But not a child sorry. 

My prayers do go out to him and his family. 
car2   atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »
I don't believe your in the wrong at all. To take a life, no matter what the age is horrible. But when it is a child all our parenting feelings come into play. All my prayers to the Peterson family

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Decades of Confusion
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 12:09:37 PM »
Sorry Folks, I lost a little respect for AP this weekend.  He should be with the Mother of his child instead of playing Football.  I don't care how rocky the situation is between them, what it tells me is this was a son he didn't really care about.  And before you throw stones, Let me ask you, would you go to work 2 days after your child died?   Even in a combat zone the military will get you out of there to get home so you can properly grieve. 

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
I happen to agree. There is no way I would be able to function. But I do not believe you can judge how AP grieves.

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Decades of Confusion
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
Fore, I agree you can't judge, But It sure looks like he is putting himself above his child.  All I can say is he lost some of my respect by doing this. 

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
Everyone has their own grieving process...Without knowing anything about his personal affairs, I don't think it is fair to judge him based on this.  I know some people who have played after losing a parent(granted not a child), and saying it helped them immensely in their grieving. 
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2